Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blogging Challenge

I always love a challenge, especially if it gives me an excuse to avoid housework, LOL.  I met Larry Fliegelman when he worked as a principal in nearby Boxford.  He has since moved to Vermont, but keeps in touch with many colleagues through twitter.  He has posted a challenge to blog 14 times in the month of February (#14inFeb). http://t.co/J4XpUyQL  Larry, you're on!

I started blogging after attending the Massachusetts Elementary School Principals Association conference last May.  I was inspired by meeting other administrators who were enthusiastic about using twitter to develop a PLN (Professional Learning Network).  I jumped on board and began reading tweets from educators across the globe.  Since tweets are limited to 140 characters, I love being able to read many snippets in a short time.  I find it helps me stay abreast of things happening in the education field.  I often stumble upon links to interesting blogs, podcasts and videos.  The past nine months have been not only enlightening, but also very validating.  I've read so many postings about the need for educators to focus on creativity, communication and collaboration, it made me realize how cutting edge we are as a school district with our multi-year focus on embedding 'Habits of Learning' in all k-12 classrooms.

Modern technology has helped educators across the globe connect in ways never before possible. Below is a chart from the traffic page of this blog.  Would you believe it been viewed by people from as far away as Latvia and Malaysia?  How exciting to think that teachers in other countries might borrow our idea to dress up as fact triangles and rack up 'Math Fact Power Hours!'


Pageviews by Countries
United States
4,579
Russia
77
Germany
69
Canada
36
France
30
Australia
29
United Kingdom
28
Latvia
27
Ukraine
21
Malaysia
10